After winning four straight from the friendly confines of the Norfolk Scope the Admirals hit the road for a pair of games against the St. John’s IceCaps. The Admirals make their first road trip of the season up north just in time to miss Hurricane Sandy’s visit to the Hampton Roads Region.
The Winnipeg Jets affiliate will host the Admirals Saturday at 6 p.m. EDT and again on Sunday at 2:30 EDT. Norfolk will then return home where they will meet up against the Binghamton Senators the following weekend.
Here’s the scouting report from the Admirals on the IceCaps:
- The Admirals play the St. John’s IceCaps on Saturday evening and Sunday afternoon in Canada. St. John’s is the top development club of the NHL’s Winnipeg Jets.
- Norfolk and St. John’s last met during the 2012 Calder Cup Playoffs, with the Admirals claiming the best-of-seven Eastern Conference Finals in four games.
- Nine players on Norfolk’s current roster saw action against the IceCaps during the 2012 Calder Cup Playoffs as members of the Syracuse Crunch, with St. John’s coming out on top of the best-of-five Eastern Conference Quarterfinals series, three games to one.
- Twenty-one of the 28 players on St. John’s current roster are returning from 2011-12.
- The IceCaps (2-2-0-0, T-2nd Atlantic Division, T-7th Eastern Conference) opened the season with a split of road contests in Springfield and Connecticut before splitting a pair of home games against Adirondack last weekend. They face off against the Portland Pirates tonight and tomorrow night at home.
- St. John’s ranks T-20th in offense (2.50 GPG), T-11th in defense (2.75 GAPG), 16th on the power play (4/21, 19.0%) and 22nd on the penalty kill (15/20, 75.0%) this season.
- Four different players lead the IceCaps in scoring with three points in four games: D Zach Redmond (2G, 1A), RW Spencer Machacek (1G, 2A), LW Hunter Tremblay (1G, 2A) and C Alex Burmistrov (3A).
- Goaltender Eddie Pasquale has started three of St. John’s four games, going 1-2-0 with a 3.05 goals-against average and .908 save percentage. Mark Dekanich, who played for the Springfield Falcons last season, is 1-0-0 with a 2.00 GAA and .946 SV%.
- The IceCaps are the least-penalized team in the AHL, averaging only 11.75 penalty minutes per game.
Learn more about the IceCaps by visiting their official website here.